Fun day skiing but with a scary experience.

Today was Bug's 2nd day of Home school skiing up at Silver Mt. The program just moved there this year and we have been very excited to try a new mountain this season. The deal is good 6 weeks with lift and lesson for 70.00. The instructors are very nice and the mountain is kid friendly. Bug has already made friends with 3 sisters who are in his group and has been enjoying the challenge of a new mountain.

So now on to the scary experience. After lunch today Bug and I went to check out parts of the mountain we haven't skied yet and ended up at an older style ski lift. The lift operator asked if we wanted it slowed down but Bug doesn't have any issues with lifts so we said no. Well I forgot that their snow coverage is really low, so the chair was a little high up. When Bug went to get on he missed and slipped off the front. Well I always grab him when he gets on a lift just to make sure, so I was holding him so he wouldn't fall and the guy could stop the lift. Well we passed the end point and he still hadn't stopped it. It took him at least 20 feet to stop the lift, at this point Bug is hanging off the lift from his chest down with my arm around his shoulders to keep him from falling. He of course is freaking out and his legs hurt from the weight of the skis dragging him down. I look down and the operator asks me "what we should do", so I asked him if he could back us up and he said "no, can you pull him up". Well at this point it is all I can do to keep him from falling.

So I ask the lift operator if he can take off his skis and realize that Bug is hanging 10 feet up in the air (from the bottom of his feet) and the guy can't even reach up to him. So I drop my poles and kick off my skis so I can wrap my legs around Bug. At that point he is at least fairly secure, so I get him calmed down and tell him to kick off his skis, he of course says he can't but after being encouraged he got it done fairly quickly. Without the skis I was able to pull him up in my lap and then he was able to climb over to his own spot.

The guy said he would send up our stuff and started the lift and away we went. Bug thought walking off the lift and sliding down the (lift) hill was great fun and kept wondering what was taking them so long getting us our stuff back. Once we got our skis and poles, (it took 3 different groups of people to get it all to us). We put on our gear and away we skied. Bug even headed off to the terrain park to do jumps. The only thing he said was just after I got him on the lift and we started going again he said "that was scary," I said yes it was but your OK now and mommy had you the whole time and would not have let you fall. That seemed good enough for him.

My boy was very brave, thank God for extra 'momma bear' strength when you need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A day at the fair.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good gift frenzy.

No Bug for the week